Monday, June 14, 2010

1st Week in Mexico

So ya, I have an hour to email.  I don't really know if I can print stuff.  We just go to little like road side places but I think I can print things out.  But then it would be a week before I could answer back to the things I print out.

So my companion is Elder Higuera.  He is a native and he speaks no English, haha, so sometimes it can be a little interesting, haha.  Everything is going way good.  We opened an area that has been closed for a little while.  The area is called Consituyentes.  I live in the Col. Federal Burocratica.  I was going to send you some pictures but I haven't taken very many and this computer is like ancient and is going really slow, so it would take forever.  This city is so big, it is crazy.  I have never seen so many people in my life.  There are cars and people everywhere.  So because we opened this area, we had nothing to go by and no investigators.  It has been a little slow getting started, but it has been good.  The first day we were here, Saturday, we went and we taught a girl that was working at the tienda, the store, next to our house.  We taught her the first lesson, well mostly my companion.  I taught a little but it's hard because everyone talks so fast here.  It is super hard to know what they are saying but anyways, this is nothing like the MTC, haha.  I was used to the MTC teaching in like a quiet room, haha.  When we taught this girl in the store, her name is Monse, it was way loud and there was a tv on and like people coming in and buying things.  One man came in a bought beer like right in the middle of our lesson, haha.  It's way different teaching here, haha, but it is good and I love it.  There are houses everywhere, haha.  So then after teaching Monse, we were walking to go visit a person who we thought was a member.  We found their name in the area book which, by the way, is horrible.  The missionaries last in the area didn't write down anything, haha, so that makes it tough.  But anyways, we were walking to this member's house and you walk in the streets.  There really isn't like sidewalks so you just walk in the street.  We were walking and then a van was coming up behind us.  It's like a van, like VW busses, and they are like taxis here.  That is what everyone rides everywere so there are tons of them everywhere.  Anyways, so one is coming up behind us and we are to the side so he could drive by, then he starts honking.  I look back and there is a little dog in the road, so this bus-van-taxi is honking at it.  The dog was just walking slow and then the driver just got sick of waiting, just guns it and runs over the dog, like right next to us.  So that was like one of my first experiences in the street, like only two hours into the day, haha.  The saddest part about the whole thing is no one even cared, not even a little, haha.  I mean there are tons of dogs everywhere here but still, it was a little weird for me seeing that happen and no one caring.  Oh, another thing about those vans, they are like taxis so we take them lots of places but almost all of them have like oldies American music playing, haha, like super loud.  It is really funny cuz they just rock out to like 60's, 70's, 80's music, haha, and it's all in English so I don't think they even know what it is saying, haha.  It's funny but the streets are so crazy.  There are millions of cars and I honestly don't think traffic laws exist.  They just make their own lanes and go wherever they want, haha.  They just cut each other off every two seconds.  It's funny, haha, but ya speaking of American music, I am sitting here emailing and the guy working here just turned on Blink 182, haha.  Mom you probably don't know what that is, but I used to listen to them at home and he just turned it on and he has no idea what its saying but he is listening to it, haha funny haha.  It's so crazy how poor the people here are.  They have hardly anything but they are willing to give us anything and everything.  They are so humble and amazing.  After going to church on Sunday, we went with a member to their house and ate.  The food was great.  I love all the food here.  After we eat, the member whose house we went to, went with us for the rest of the day to visit members.  We did tons of walking, but it was awesome.  Here it is like hill after hill, no mountain after mountain.  There is no flat ground.  Our house is on a hill and so is everything so you walk down a hill and then go up a hill haha its funny, but I love it.  Our apartment was so trashed when we got there on Friday night haha.  There was graffiti all over the walls and stuff everywhere.  The bathroom is so gross but its all good haha.  We cleaned it Friday night some, but just the main part of the apartment, and then today I attempted to clean the bathroom, probably the grossest thing I have ever done haha.  I got it a little more clean haha. There is no gas at our house because it has been so long since missionaries lived there so Saturday, Sunday and today we had ice cold showers, haha.  It keeps our showers quick, haha, but we are going to go buy gas today so hopefully then we can light our water heater haha, if not, it's all good.  We live on the second floor above someone and the water heater like hangs out the window over the other persons living room haha.  So, I hope it never breaks haha or they would get a lot of water in their house haha.  But ya, it's great.  I love it here.  I haven't gotten sick like people said I would haha, so that's good.  I just love the food and I guess it loves me haha, so no problems there.  Everything is just great.  My Spanish is getting better every day.  My companion always says "poco un poco," little by little, haha so that's how it is.  I am learning a little more every day.  I feel like by the end of yesterday, my ears were starting to adjust to the speed of talk and ya its just all coming along.  I love this work it's great.  I love you all so much.  Thanks for everything.  Thanks for the emails.  The girls can write me short emails for next week and I will try and print them and get back to them.  The church is true even in Mexico, it's great.  Church was great.  I passed the sacrament and my companion blessed, haha.  So it was good and then we taught a class too, haha.  I love it.  I love you all and I will write more next week.  I wish I had time for more because I could talk all day about it but I don't have time.  I love you and miss you.  Stay safe and know I am doing great and the Lord is blessing me a ton.
Love,
Elder Despain
(Haha, no one can say my name here, haha.  Everyone asks me how to say it, haha. It's funny.)

Note From Ann: He wrote Kylee that he has to say he is from Utah. Arizona is a bad word there.

No comments:

Post a Comment