Monday, July 12, 2010

Hey Family!

So I did get letters in the pouch this week!  I got the first ones from you mom so I am hoping I will get letters every week now through the pouch.  But please put the dates on the letters so I know when they are from.  It looks like they are taking about 3 weeks to get to me, haha.  But it was great to get letters and to hear about how everything is going!  Everything here is still going good!  This week we had 3 baptisms.  It was great!  We had one on Viernes (Friday) and 2 on Domingo (Sunday) after church.  Friday was Candy!  Sunday was Moses and Juan Carlos.  They were great.  I will send you pictures of them.  The work is going good here and we are working hard to get more investigators and get all of them closer to baptism.  It is so great to be able to see how much this gospel blesses those that we teach.  This gospel is truly amazing.  I love it so much and I am so thankful that I have had it in my life, my whole life.  I'm so happy that I have the opportunity to be here and bring these people that happiness that I have had my whole life!  So I told you about last Sunday and how it rained really hard and I sent you pictures of it.  Well, my shoes that I was wearing that day are still wet, haha.   It has been over a week, haha.  But my other shoes are really great and are super water proof and it has been fine just wearing those.  If any other missionaries that are going out ask about shoes, tell them to get Hush Puppies beause they are way better then my Eccos.  But this week has been crazy.  It has rained a ton more then normal.  It pretty much rained all day, every day this week. 

On Saturday, we were walking from a lunch appointment in Zopate and it is like a 10 minute walk, but it was pouring rain and the road was like a river.  So we were walking on this wall and on one side of the wall was the road that was like a river and the other side was a big really steep hill.  So we are walking on this wall so we don't have to walk in the river of water.  I was like 5 meters in front of my companion and I turned around to see if he was still keeping up.  When I turned around, I started leaning way too much to the side of the great big hill and I was like about to fall.  I was doing the waving arms thing, trying to get my weight back centered.  It was crazy.  I was like half bent backwards but I saved it, some how, and got my weight back centered.  It was crazy and it would have been horrible if I fell, haha.  My companion said he saw it and was like praying I would not fall, haha, but then after I saved it and was all good, we just busted up laughing.  It was great.  We got pretty wet that day too.  But ya, haha, funny story.  Probably isn't that funny to you all, but if you were there you would have laughed and thought it was crazy, haha. 

This week we were in charge of the noche de hogar (Kimi's note - actually translates to Family Home Evening) it was like a ward activity and the part we were in charge of was about Lehi's dream.  So we made like a tree and a great building and stuff out of cardboard and then we got like yarn for the road.  Then, we blind folded some of the kids and then there was one person trying to guide them to the road and to the tree and then the rest of us were all saying to go other places.  It was super funny and went really good!  Then on Sunday, we got to be part of the program and got to sing a bunch of songs.  But there were only like 6 of us singing and ya I am not the best singer, haha.  It's even harder in Spanish because I don't know the words perfect but it went really good.  I was glad that I could help out in the program. 


So there is this lady in our ward that comes to church every week and her 13 year old son is a member.  So we went and visited her to see why she hadn't been baptized and she said it was because she wasn't married to her husband, or person she is living with.  So then we set up an appointment to talk to her husband-person (Fredrico).  When we met with Fredrico and asked him if he would get married to her so she could be baptized, he said yes.  It was so great.  He is a really cool guy too, but has never had an interest in the church.  But he is fine with his wife and son getting baptized.  So next week they are getting married and then she (Elia) is getting baptized the day after they get married.  But the last time we were at their house and we were talking to her about the baptism after she getts married.  Then out of no where, Fredrico just asks, "What would we have to do to get married in your temple?"  This was an amazing question because he has never been interested in the church.  So we explain all about how you have to be a member and be baptized and then wait a year and all this.  And then he asks about the word of wisdom and so we talked all about that.  Then we asked if he would stop drinking and smoking and be baptized with his wife and he said yes!  It was amazing and so next week after they get married they are going to be baptized!  It is so great!  And hopefully we will have at least one baptism this week as well!  So it's so crazy, yesterday was 1 month in Mexico for me.  It is crazy and the time has gone by so quick.  Well, I am doing great and Mexico is amazing!  Thank you again for all your letters and emails!  I love you all so so so much!  I miss you all!  But I am glad I am here and have the opportunity to be a instrument in the Lord's hands.  This work is amazing and this gospel is amazing.  The church is true!  I love you all, thanks for everything!

Love,
Elder Despain
aka Wedo to all the people here haha
wedo=(means white person)
(Note From Kimi - it is actually guero - the slang for white person which sounds like "wedo" to the untrained English ear according to the internet)

No comments:

Post a Comment